A lot of monsters come with abilities that are written out in a textbox as seen on Ploxmons cards or in front of the Ploxbosses during games. Ploxmons on the battlefield do not have a textbox but instead come with ability icons that are used as reminders for the players. To read the full ability text, players may just hover their Ploxmons on the battlefield to view their cards.
Abilities can not be activated by players. Instead they trigger automatically at a certain time that is described in the textbox of the card/boss (e.g. "When attacking: (...)" or "At end of turn: (...)").
Abilities only trigger if the monster is on the battlefield. They do NOT trigger while in hand, deck, graveyard or tribute zone unless it is specifically stated otherwise in the ability text. A common example of this are cards with "When tributed: (...)".
Some abilitiy texts contain keywords. You can recognize them by their bold font. As in Magic The Gathering, keywords are used to identify abilities (or a certain part of an ability) with just one word, which usefully saves space in the text boxes. When a card with a ability text that includes keywords is hovered, a tooltip will show up that explains the keyword.
- Absorb: If any other monster would receive a stat increase or decrease, this monster receives those stat changes instead.
- Armor: This monster takes less direct damage (caused by attacks, sabotage and payback).
- Boost: Increases the stats of the target by an amount of +[Power]/+[Speed].
- Cleanse: Removes the described attribute from the target entirely. (Currently one differentiates in Stats Cleansing and Ability Cleansing effects.)
- Doublestrike: This monster attacks two times consecutively.
- Enchant: Grants the target a new ability.
- Enemy Painsplit: When this monster receives damage, it redirects an amount as passive damage to an enemy.
- Heal: Heals the target by an amount.
- Painsplit: When this monster receives damage, it redirects an amount as passive damage to its partner.
- Payback: Whenever this monster is attacked, it deals an amount of direct damage back to the attacker.
- Poison: Inflicts the Poison status condition. Poisoned monsters receive an amount of passive damage at the end of each turn.
- Protect: Protects its partner by redirecting single target boss attacks to itself.
- Regeneration: This monster heals itself by an amount.
- Retreat: Causes the target to return to its owner's deck.
- Revive: Causes the target to be brought back from the dead.
- Sabotage: Deals an amount of direct damage to the target.
- Steal: Steals the described attribute from the target.
- Tenacity: If this monster would be defeated by damage from full HP, it survives with 1 HP instead. Only works against direct damage (caused by attacks, sabotage and payback)
- Triplestrike: This monster attacks three times consecutively.
- Weaken: Decreases the stats of the target by an amount of -[Power]/-[Speed]. HP can not be weakened.
- Other: Refers to unusual abilities that do not fit any of the other listet keywords.